Monday, March 24, 2014

DIY Kitchen Nook

A DIY Kitchen Nook: This past week the fiance and I finally did something with the awful space in our kitchen. We just hit the one year anniversary of us moving into our new house and we're still trying to get everything to feel like "home". I came across several DIY ideas online for making a kitchen nook or kitchen banquette. But none of them were extremely helpful and unfortunately the fiance's lack of handyman skills doesn't help much either. So what to do? Get creative.

DIY Kitchen Nook (aka Banquette)

I started with my base. I came across these cabinets from Ikea. They're actually used to go over the refrigerator in kitchens but we re-purposed them. We bought three of them each measuring 36" long by 24" deep by 15" high. Optimum seating height is between 18" and 20" so after we add a cushion, we should be right on target. We picked out our favorite type of door - I think there might have been about 5 styles to choose from - and set off home. It took us about 1.5 hours to set everything up. I like to think of myself as an Ikea builder master - the fiance... not so much. Like I said, not the most handy of handymen. In total we spent $393.00 (before tax) for the cabinets, doors, and hinges.
DIY Breakfast Nook

DIY Breakfast Nook
(Pictures from Ikea)
We headed off to HomeGoods for pillows. I covet all things Pottery Barn, but sometimes my budget doesn't quite allow for splurges of that kind. I can always find something fab at HomeGoods and this time I got a real score. We picked up these high quality Pottery Barn look-a-like pillows at $30/pair. Great steal considering that's $15 a pillow. Just to compare, here's a Pottery Barn pillow at $35.50 each: Tonal Linen Flange Pillow.
DIY Breakfast Nook


We also grabbed a vase to put in the awkward corner space for our "sticks". Our "sticks" came courtesy of a 40% off coupon from Michael's Craft store. Never go to Michael's without a coupon... they have a new set of coupons every week and you'd be crazy not to take advantage. These "sticks" (I like to call them sticks in case you can't tell) cost us roughly $20 and look great in the corner between the wall and the windows.
DIY Breakfast Nook

The small wooden item is actually a crate from Michael's that I stained myself with two coats of wood stain. Sun bleach and then . Gives a great, rustic, beachy feel to the space. (Side note: I should really buy stock in Michael's)

My nearly finished product... it compliments our kitchen and we can finally have guests over for brunch or coffee. It's definitely my new favorite space.
DIY Breakfast Nook

DIY Breakfast Nook

Stay tuned though... next up: custom cushions and a new kitchen table. (Pictures taken at night, final picture taken in early morning light)

1 comment:

  1. I keep going back and forth about doing one in my casual dining area.

    ReplyDelete